Daily Current Affairs Compilation for various Banking/Insurance/ SSC Exams -19.02.2018
- World Congress on Information Technology began in Hyderabad Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the inaugural session of the three-day IT summit through a video link. It has been organized in partnership with NASSCOM, WITSA & the Government of Telangana. The humanoid, Sophia the robot is also one of the featured speakers at the WCIT summit.
- India’s defence budget breaks into top 5 According to a report by London-based global think tank, India’s defence budget broke into the world’s top 5, beating the UK for the first time. India overtook the UK as the 5th largest defence spender in 2017 at $52.5 billion.
- Foundation stone for Navi Mumbai airport PM Modi has laid the foundation stone of Navi Mumbai International Airport. The new airport which is expected to ease the load of congested Mumbai airport will become functional in 2019.
- Saudi Arabia allows women to start business Women in Saudi Arabia can now open their own businesses without the consent of a husband or male relative. Women can now practice all their commercial transactions in Ministry of Commerce & Investment without a guardian or a notary.
Banking & business
- Amazon enters food retail venture Amazon has rolled out its own food retailing business in India called Amazon Retail with a pilot in Pune. With this Amazon becomes the 1st foreign e-commerce firm to stock & sell food items directly to consumers.
- Amazon Dethrones Microsoft as Third Most Valuable Company According to a report in The New York Post, with a market cap of $702.5 billion, Amazon has become the third mostvaluable company in the world, racing past Microsoft, which has a market cap of $699.2 billion.
- PSB to transfer officers completing 3 years Central Vigilance Commission has issued an advisory to all public sector banks ordering them to transfer the officers who have completed 3 yrs as on Dec 31, 2017.
- Roger Federer beats Grigor Dimitrov to win Rotterdam Open title Roger Federer marked his impending return to the top of the world rankings by sweeping aside second seed Grigor Dimitrov in the Rotterdam Open final.