Daily Current Affairs Compilation for various Banking/Insurance/ SSC Exams -21.02.2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the UP Investors Summit in Lucknow T he mega event, organised by the Yogi Adityanath government, is aimed at showcasing investment opportunities and potential across various sectors in Uttar Pradesh.
- Centre constitutes committee to study Brahmaputra and flood control measures in Assam The Centre has constitued a committee headed by the Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog, Rajiv Kumar to study the Brahmaputra and flood control measures in Assam and neighbouring states.
- 60,000-crore fund for urban housing scheme The Union Cabinet has approved the creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) with Rs 60,000 crore in its kitty. The fund will be situated in Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- 20,000 crore defence corridor for Bundelkhand Two defence industrial corridors were announced in the Union Budget 2018-19. PM Narendra Modi announced that his government will establish a Rs 20,000-crore defence industrial production corridor in Bundelkhand — a region divided between Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh — that will generate 250,000 jobs and bring development to one of the most impoverished regions of the country.
- Kamal Hassan launches new political party “Makkal Needhi Maiam’’ Actor Kamal Haasan launched his political party Makkal Needhi Maiam (people justice centre) in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. He also unfurled his party’s flag, which has six hands – three in red and three in white – joined together around a star on a white background.
- Singapore to impose carbon tax from 2019 Singapore said it would impose a “carbon tax” from next year to cut its greenhouse gas emissions and make companies more competitive as global agreements on climate change take effect.
- India, Indonesia joint military drill begins in Bandung began the sixth edition of their annual military exercise named ‘Garuda Shakti’ in Bandung, Indonesia. The exercises will include experience sharing in counter-terrorism operations, close quarter combat, and other areas of special operations.
- Srikanth, Sindhu to lead India’s badminton charge in CWG 2018 India’s highest ranked men’s singles player Kidambi Srikanth and Olympic medallists PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal will lead the country’s challenge in the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which is slated to be held in Gold Coast, Australia from April 4.
- 1st Indian to cross 900 points in ICC ranking Virat Kohli has become only the second batsman in the history of the game to cross 900-point mark concurrently in Tests & ODIs. Kohli is only the 2nd batsman after AB de Villiers to attain the 900-point mark concurrently in both formats.